Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Conics Project - Update #1: Introduction

My geometry students are about to begin a sort-of project based learning (PBL) unit centered on the conic sections. This will be my first attempt implementing any sort of PBL in my classes and I'm really excited about it. Here's what I've prepared so far:

The Task
Students will be placed in groups of four with each member assigned a role.  The teams will have a "Photo Journalist" who will document the project progress, a "Surgeon" who will be responsible for cutting the cone and stamping its cross section onto the graph paper, a "Manager" who will monitor time, delegate responsibilities, and lastly a "Math Interpreter" who will focus on seeking out the math facts, rewording to every day language, and choosing what's most important. Roles are being assigned based on individual responses to this Google Form survey.

Teams will ultimately create a poster for their conic.  Individuals will have an assessment at the end of the unit. More details are clarified in these materials.


Materials
I have also made these handouts:
  • Job descriptions for all group members including a list of class responsibilities, team responsibilities, and individual responsibilities.
  • Calendar
  • Study guide
  • Poster requirements summary
  • Gallery Walk Feedback Analysis
  • Daily Log Sheet
I also made a sample poster featuring a cubic function with some features intentionally done well and others done somewhat poorly.  This sample poster will be used as a discussion point in the individual job role sessions.


I know this is not the ideal PBL task but I am feeling very good about the project.  I am hoping students will learn a lot and thrive in their job roles.

Please watch for updates as I plan to blog about this project as it progresses.  Also, please leave comments about any suggestions you have about this project or about other PBL experiences in Geometry.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment